Nail Polish toxicity
Ok it's nail polish time. The stuff is generally toxic. It smells bad but looks so pretty. There are many chemicals in nail polish that are chemical disrupters. That means they mess big time with your nervous system. It is tough to see the stuff on little kids and pregnant women when they are so vulnerable anyway.
There was a study done at Duke University that showed just a few minutes after nails were painted a chemical shows up in the urine of women. That chemical TPHP or TPP leaches into the body and is a known endocrine disrupter. You have heard of an endocrinologist doctor right? So the endocrine system controls hormones,metabolism and growth. That chemical helps the paint adhere to the nails and we all hate peeling polish. Guess where it is also seen? The breast milk of moms. That bad. So a few tips.
1. Don't paint both toes and nails, choosing one at a time to limit exposure.
2. Do them yourself so you don't have to breath in the chemicals in the nail salon. They wear masks in there for many reasons from fumes to dust to chemicals.
3. Take the winter off from polish on the toes.
4. Use a nail polish with limited crap in it like phthalates, formaldehyde and and toluene.
5. Bring that better polish with you and have the salon use it.
I use Mineral Fusion polish. When I get my toes painted I bring it with me to the salon and let them use it. They have never even once said no. I go during the weekday when hardly anyone is there so I don't have to breath the yucky smell in for long. It LOVE when they paint my nails because they do a much better job then I do. So I just make smarter choices. I get this at Whole Foods and have seen it online.
want more?? visit me at www.loveyourhealthandwellness.com
Leave a Reply.
Hi, I'm Dr. Heidi!
A mom of 3, pediatric chiropractor, natural remedy guru and wellness educator.
Follow along on instagram